Sunday 24 May 2015

Pentecost thoughts...


I have had a long, but rewarding day celebrating the feast of Pentecost. This morning was a lively service at Christchurch, Bexhill, celebrating their Flower Festival, I had lunch on the beach afterwards, then went to our lovely village chapel at Ninfield, followed by a cup of tea with some lovely people who look after me, which included a disection of Eurovision! Then tonight we worshipped in the 16th century church at East Guileford, set in a field, surrounded by sheep, with no electricity. It was powerful reminding us we are part of a story that goes back centuries. A good day. 

I have tried to ponder what Pentecost is for today and have been thinking about colour and my thoughts went to this window as I prepared material for today. 

 I love to sit and look at this window. All of us have special places to go where we sense the presence of the God who calls us.This is the regimental chapel of the Manchester Regiment within Manchester Cathedral. The cathedral is situated right at the heart of the city, it is not very big, but every day is alive with people coming in and going out. This part of the cathedral is quite dark but came alive when this window was installed, a mass of red. First maybe we remember God’s Spirit comes to us as we are. Often when I need to sit in quietness in a cathedral or even on a bench looking at the sea it is when I am exhausted and need energy and refocus. There have been many times like that over the past year or so and even more in years past. Sometimes we simply need to stop and say to God, you know what, I need your help. Do you need energy as a church this morning? Not just because you are busy welcoming people this weekend, but do you need energy to keep going, do you need refocus, do you need a pouring of God’s blessing in your life here to enthuse you again to do what it is you are being asked to do. Too many churches it seems to me are in a perpetual state of exhaustion. The promise of God for us at Pentecost is this “I will put my Spirit within you, and you will live.” Live, not exist. Live. Live, not getting through. Live! What brings us alive today?

The Cathedral was badly hit by a bomb in World War II, which destroyed all the old windows. The Fire Window was installed in the chapel during renovation. It is meant to remember the blitz and the carnage outside. Perhaps a symbol that the world is not a nice place this morning, that it is difficult and dangerous out there, but we are led in our thoughts and intentions out there. That is the heart of Pentecost it seems to me. Previously wobbly disciples, unreliable turncoats, fearful of any challenge are transformed with power to go out and share in a world equally as difficult as ours is the colour and life of Jesus. More and more we are seeing churches grow because they are out amongst the flames and destructive forces of life. There are people in desperate need around your community today. I took a church on an away day. Most of them told me there is no need they can see around their church. I reminded them of private isolation and loneliness behind net curtains.

Pentecost is a reminder in the Church of the need to engage. This window by the way was damaged and had to be restored again in 1996. Why? Well in June 1996 an IRA bomb destroyed most of Manchester City Centre, a miracle no one lost their life. It was the last day of my second year in college. We were going into the city shopping. I overslept, so we didn’t go. I heard a loud bang. We lived three miles away. I will never forget walking and seeing the destruction that evening. The world is harsh and difficult but where we are meant to be. But there is hope. This window, every time I look at it, says, you know, whatever you are facing, God can transform it. The flame of love is stronger than anything. The Lord is here. His Spirit is with us. We need to pray for that Spirit to come and renew us every day. 

Perhaps I am calling for some positivity around and about. A church magazine issued over the weekend commenting on our Circuit mission audit said I have good ideas about the future. But all I am trying to do is remind people of the need to be positive because God invites us to live in the moment and every day can be an opportunity to experience energy and life and hope. I love the Eurovision Song Contest, sad individual that I am. I loved the Australian song. Guy Sebastian is a huge star in Australia, Other countries put huge stars into the contest. The UK does not, hence cinq points! I loved these lyrics:

I don't want tomorrow
Oh baby tonight's so good
Tonight's so good.
This is one tough act to follow
Oh baby tonight's so good
Forget tomorrow
We can do tonight again. 

Oh everyone's got their problems
There's always something on your midn
Oh but tonight we aint gotta solve them
For now let's leave them all behind.

Do want you wanna do... get on with it!


Live the moment! I have learnt to do that over the past few years. Worry less and live more. 

A generation or two ago the preacher would have shouted for revival on Pentecost Sunday. Perhaps today’s church needs to relearn the simple truth that God is all sufficient, and if God is all sufficient then we ought to be able if we know God, if we pray, if we read his word, if we know our context and if we trust one another to be confident in the future, oughtn’t we?? 

That's what I think, anyway. 






No comments:

Post a Comment