Sunday 4 December 2016

Blogging through Advent - Providing space for people...


I love this poster. I spotted it in one of our rural chapels yesterday. Clearly there has been a problem with noise while others wanted to prepare for worship quietly.  

Everyone needs people to shut up and be quiet sometimes and everyone needs space for quiet contemplation or to come together for a celebration. I've seen both today in an amazing busy day but one of the loveliest days I've had recently in my work here. 

In our morning service some twelve hours now, we thought about John the Baptist ranting to people to create space, to think again about God's intervention. I suggested he is an interruption to our Christmas planning but a necessary one. He confronts us about repentance and resetting of life. It was good to preach a fiery prophetic sermon and use some Jim Wallis in my service. I love Jim Wallis. You might like to read this article he wrote reflecting on the new world of American politics: 

www.sojo.net/articles/advent-2016-not-normal-not-now-not-come

This afternoon I was privileged to lead the local hospice Lights of Love service at St Mary's Church in Ninfield. St Michael's Hospice is an important place in this area and holds several of these services at the same time today. The church was full and afterwards everyone placed stars on a Christmas tree outside our Methodist chapel before it was lit for the season. It was good to give people space to remember, grieve and celebrate loved ones that have died. My words were appreciated by many. 

I then arrived at an amazing party at my largest church where we had invited the community and our own church family to an event which involved Messy Church activities, loads of food, a little talk on angels by me and then a carol and Christmas music singalong. The place was buzzing when I walked in and the atmosphere created by a gathering of all ages having fun and working together was very special. People were given space to celebrate with others. New friends were made and everyone left feeling good. 

Finally I went to my village chapel in Pett to lead a very quiet Taize Service in candlelight. The chants were very special tonight and I led some reflections about taking time to see the light of Christ in between them. The candlelight was very peaceful and lovely until I missed my footing coming out of the pulpit and managed narrowly to miss a music stand in front of me and staggered about like I was worse for wear! 

I think today has shown me we need to offer people space to remember the story. It can be done in different ways. I love my work here so much because of its diversity. Even if I am shattered now, it has been a very special day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment