Saturday 2 March 2019

Thinking about Mary



I’ve been thinking about Mary a lot while resting here on Lindisfarne. We say the Magnificat every night in evening prayer reminding us of her brave and revolutionary response to an angelic call. 

We went to the cathedral in Newcastle upon Tyne on Thursday to hear The Sixteen. Part of their concert was a setting of Stabat Mater by Palestrina. The pure voices stirred my soul. The words which I copy below speak of Mary at the cross. The revolutionary has become indescribable suffering. Unless as parents we have had to stand watching a child suffer, we cannot imagine her pain. The crucified reaches out to her - and us - and bids us stand with him. 

The Christian life is surely about responding to surprise, being brave, and at times suffering wondering where that will lead. She stood and wept but if you read Acts she’s still there, a faithful disciple. 

I’ve never understood Roman Catholic devotion praying to Jesus through her, but I can see her vital part in the story. I pray at the moment I might be as brave, might open my eyes to what God wants of me, might endure times of pain as best I can when it’s all crumbling and then to see redemption the other side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment