Sunday 1 December 2019

Advent with Christmas in your face



How do we do Advent, especially when Christmas is in our face? I suggest we use the time to listen, to wait, and to watch. If we don’t stop, we may well fail to see what God might want us to see. We need to wait on the Lord. Zechariah in Luke chapter 1 was so overwhelmed with what was about to happen, he was struck dumb until it happened. I’m not suggesting we keep silent until Christmas Day, but as my favourite carol says sometimes, we need to hush our noise, and hear the angels sing. 



Romans 13 talks of an hour of crisis when we need to wake up from our sleep because our deliverance is at hand.

Sometimes it’s hard to stay awake. I had a lady years ago in a sisterhood meeting who used to nod off during my talks. One day after about 10 minutes of snoozing with me still sharing with them, she woke up with a jot, looked me right in the eye and said “Good God, are you still talking?” Keep awake, and keep watching for the signs of something different in this season. 


And don’t be afraid to wait. In an age that craves the instant, rediscover the discipline of waiting, don’t take anything for granted. God’s time is not ours. Any of you who’ve had to wait for results of medical tests, or exam results, will know the agony of waiting. But sometimes we have no choice. 

 



A year ago, I couldn’t walk very far, I couldn’t sing a hymn without coughing violently, I went really hot if I had any conversations with people feeling absolutely exhausted, I certainly couldn’t lead an act of worship or do any ministry apart from writing my blog on line which people appreciate and at times I thought I could never return to full time ministry. 

A year on, I am back almost at full strength, and have been stationed for next September back in a full time Circuit appointment. I’ve had to be patient, I’ve shouted at God, I’ve been cross with the church, I’ve had to be satisfied that the journey had to be made slowly. The destination of feeling better and having lungs that worked again would come, but not straight away. But in waiting, I believe God has spoken.




Maybe waiting is a positive thing we need. We bought a Frozen 2 Advent calendar with chocolate in it for Lis’s friend Sarah’s little girl. We had a bad day. We opened every window and ate 24 bits of chocolate. Did we feel better by having all of it in one go? No – we felt sick. So patient waiting and reflective journeying is the key to a healthy Advent. 


Someone sent me a picture of Noddy Holder of Slade. We love to hear So here it is Merry Christmas, it’s a Christmas classic. The picture of Noddy Holder has him pointing at us with the caption in big letters: NOT YET! 




We need a slow, thoughtful, reflective, spirit filled Advent as we reflect on the characters and events of the incarnation. If we are awake and we wait with hope, then when he comes we will be ready. Let me try and inspire you with a quote from what is essential Advent reading, “The Coming of God” by Maria Boulding. 


She writes: Advent is the consecration of waiting in our lives. Human life is full of waiting: people wait for trains, buses and planes, they stand in queues at shops, they sit nervously in dentist’s waiting rooms, they wait in anguish for news of a lost loved one. They wait for the slow process of healing to take its time, they wait for the birth of a child. 

Waiting can be very different in these different situations, according to our attitude. In an age of “instant” products any delay can be viewed as negative for “time is money.” Yet some things cannot be skimped or hurried, we have to let them take the time they need. You can’t make the grass grow by pulling it, as the proverb wisely warns… Faith can demand long, patient waiting when nothing seems to be happening, and this necessary to growth. The waiting changes us, schools us, teaches us to know God: The Lord waits to be gracious to you. Blessed are all those who wait for him.” It was fun to gather this morning as a Circuit at Marshland St James to begin our Advent journey. The church was packed. I believe we set out with some excitement. That’s how Advent should begin. 





No comments:

Post a Comment