Saturday 1 August 2020

August 1st



So today is August 1. It’s a huge day for a lot of people. 

Shielding has been paused.

Some parts of the country have had restrictions put back as the rate of infections is worryingly on the rise.

Methodist clergy and their families are preparing to move surrounded by boxes. I’m reminded of the old gag about the removal firm advert:
“We have removed many Methodist ministers to the satisfaction of all concerned.” 

It’s Yorkshire Day and the feast day of St Wilfrid.

There’s a mixture of emotions going on in people, not least in me! 

So I’ve written a prayer for all who face today and this month, either with excitement or with anxiety, and then I want to share a prayer for St Wilfrid’s Day.



O God, today I am not sure. So not sure. 

Shielding has today been paused. But is it really safe to pause it? For many today, there will be celebration as they meet family and friends again, can go out and shop or eat or enjoy a pint on a summer evening in the pub.

 For others though there will be fear. Going outside after so long will be frightening. And there are others who still don’t feel safe to go out at all. Give them especially today your peace. 



O God, today I am not sure. So not sure. 

I’d love to go and do everything others seem now to be doing. But I’m still being told to stay at home as much as possible. I know some churches are opening for the first time tomorrow. I’ve had an invitation to go to a service in the morning. I’m devastated I can’t just go back to church.

 If I’m honest, God, the thought of going inside anywhere scares me. I’ve not been in a shop since March. I’m not at all attracted to the thought of sitting in church with a face covering, not able to sing, or take communion, or chat to others. But I do understand why people need to go back to what they knew. 

So I pray for all those churches that are reopening tomorrow or soon, that everyone will be safe. I also pray for those who face unemployment as the furlough scheme is lessened today and for those who face impossible decisions having to return to work even though they are overwhelmed with worry. 



O God, today I am not sure. So not sure. 

I’m very worried as things move on so fast, those of us still being told to be careful will be left behind. Some days it feels like we are out of step now. It was okay when we were all in lockdown. Now I’m jealous of those who can just do what I’d love to do. It isn’t that I don’t want to do things. I’m very sad I can’t. I’m tired of having to think about what is safe and what isn’t. 

When is this going to end? I pray for patience not just for myself but for those who might get exasperated I’m not doing what they are. 



O God, today I am not sure. So not sure. 

The virus seems to be on the increase in some places. The tone of the government seems to have changed. 

I pray for those in the north who now cannot do what was allowed a few weeks ago. I continue to pray for health workers in hospitals and care homes and for those who are facing loved ones dying from this thing still. Some might be tempted to say “it’s only 74 today” but every death, all 47,000 plus of them, matters, and we mourn those who have been lost. 

Help O God, those who struggle in ongoing uncertainty to find healing in your presence.




O God, today I am not sure. So not sure. 

Many of us in ministry are on the move this month. We are surrounded by chaos as we get ready to start again in new places. How will being in a new place amongst new people be? 

September will be history making as we will never start appointments quite like we will this year. So I give you my worry and my questions and the unknown and I thank you for those who are helping us with kindness and nice messages giving us assurance the destination after our moving will be okay.

 I cannot do what I’d hoped as I begin meeting new churches, but I have a blank canvas and opportunities to be creative while keeping safe. So while I am not sure about a lot, I’m glad there are those who share this journey with me. It’s Yorkshire Day today and living in North Yorkshire is going to be just fab! 



O God, while today I am not sure, I can be sure...

I can be sure of your love which is sure and certain in my anxiety and wobbling. 

I can be sure I am okay saying no when what is asked of me is just not sensible. That staying at home is alright. 

I can be sure when it all feels too much and I want to shut my ears when the only thing I hear talked about is coronavirus and more coronavirus because I am just tired of it, you will give me perspective. I’m glad of my walks and my space and my friends. 

I can be sure, in Jesus, you get where I’m at. To know he suffers, has questions, gets cross, is worried, and endures overwhelming agony gives me courage. To know he comes through all of those things gives me hope. 

So sorry God for wittering on. A new month, a turn of the calendar for some is really exciting. For others we just need a bit of time... thank you that you understand. Amen. 



A prayer on St Wilfrid’s Day from the prayers section on Ripon Cathedral website: 

God of compassion be close to those who are ill, in isolation or afraid. In their loneliness, be their consolation;
In their anxiety, be their hope;
In their darkness, be their light;
Through him who suffered alone on the cross,
But reigns with you in glory, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen

Merciful God, we entrust to your tender care
Those who are ill or in pain,
Knowing that whenever danger threatens
Your everlasting arms are there to hold them safe.
Comfort and heal them and restore them to health and strength; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment