Saturday 17 October 2020

Sing a new song



Passage for reflection: Psalm 96: 1 - 9

I learnt this week of the passing of a dear soul in one of my former churches, Clifford Foster. Clifford was the organist at the Methodist Church in Rye for over 60 years. He was a superb organist, he had a lovely touch on the keys every Sunday. The congregation would give him a round of applause after every service and we would get an appreciative wave from the organ stall. 

Clifford knew what he liked! Christmas music for the choir was meticulously chosen every summer, Love came down at Christmas had to be included in the carol service, Rejoice the Lord is King always had the magnificent organ piece at the end at full gusto. He was very deaf so sometimes it took time to get his attention to play the hymn after I’d announced it! He didn’t like new hymns, he didn’t want Singing The Faith “that new book” but we’d put something from it on a piece of paper and I’d give him the music and he’d say “ooh, that’s nice, where did you find that?” We got “that new book” eventually! He would often change the tune of a hymn so you didn’t sometimes know what was coming the first time you picked one you wanted. I picked “Sing to the great Jehovah’s praise” once and he played a tune I’d never heard of! I asked what was wrong with the set tune. He said “I don’t like repeats!”



Clifford loved music and he saw his organ playing a ministry. He was also an organ builder. He rarely missed a Sunday. His family owned a printers and an amazing old fashioned department store in Rye. When you rang him your hymn numbers you had to ring the shop. They would put you on hold while they found him, and you would get recorded music down the phone. I’d say to Clifford “nice bit of jazz today” and you could feel him grimace! He used to sit in his fabulous office and he’d always say he couldn’t find a pencil! He was also property steward. He would climb ladders to change lightbulbs. I would shout “I’m not looking!” I’m so sad he has left us. I hope the choirs of heaven have welcomed him with a huge fanfare.



Thinking about Clifford I got thinking about the Psalm set in the lectionary for this Sunday: nine verses of Psalm 96. The Psalm is all about singing a new song. At the moment as this pandemic goes on, those of us who have returned to church buildings for worship are finding not being able to sing very very difficult. Humming behind a face covering is not the same. 

This music-making in worship: where does it come from?  Well, from when human beings first glimpsed God and were moved to worship him and found themselves breaking into song.  It's as if the words run out and some deeper form of speech is needed to touch both the mystery of our own longings and the mystery of the divine. 

Joining in a song lifts your soul, it’s an expression of a sentiment or a mood. To be in a church which can make a corporate joyful noise to the Lord is an expression of our faith. Methodists have always shared faith through hymnody. Away from church, people enjoy singing in choirs, some are meeting on Zoom with an organist or pianist and everyone on mute singing in their homes. 

Apparently it’s very difficult when everyone is unmuted trying to get everyone singing together! 
I enjoy turning the radio up loud and singing along. It does me good (if not those around me!) 

How could we worship without music and singing? Not just in today but in eternity.  In heaven where the likes of Clifford Foster now rest, the song of angels and archangels goes on perpetually.  Here on earth in our singing, we join in that heavenly song, practising what we shall one day do for ever. 

Rest in peace dear friend. Those of us in ministry have those souls we will never forget who become part of us, those who sing that new song we are called to enjoy. 

 I bet today Clifford has found an organ to play with, has changed his shoes, and is playing happily, with no repeats! 



Loving Father I lift up my voice in praise and thanksgiving for the wonder that You have done in my life. I pray that my life in thought, word and deed may be a song of praise to You, for the goodness of Your grace, for You alone are worthy, in Jesus name I pray. Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment