Tuesday 6 January 2015

Prayer for Epiphany


We reach the end of our Advent and Christmas journey. I love it that on their notices one of my former churches is having an afternoon "de-Christmasing" the church! How easy is it to do that!

The road is only just beginning to show itself ahead of us in this New Year. Already people are talking to me about strategy and targets and I've spent this afternoon planning worship for August and looking up tide times for Sea Sunday! Some things are now fixed in my diary. But all the details of the year are not known, and there will be a mixture of joys and sorrows, certainties and surprises. The road may well lead me somewhere I didn't want to go or be one I never expected to take.

The road may look the same every time I go down it, but every day there is challenge on the road and there are new things to spot if I keep my eyes open.

The road may need some careful stepping on. The cobbles of life may well try to trip me up.

What is at the end of the road? I don't know. I can only travel on it in hope and expectation.
I end these blogs by again reminding myself the magi, who we remember today, travelled a different road after their own Christmas. They didn't "de-Christmas" themselves glad it was all over.
I pray that whatever road we travel this year we will continue to find joy on it, and where it is hard, we will find God's light shining. Thank you for travelling with me on this journey of writing since December 1st. I will post occasionally now if you follow me and have me bookmarked, and I will back more permanently again in Lent. Looking at God's world, things in my life and reflecting on them has been a good thing to do.

Father God, thank you for the journey of the Magi, following the road guided by a star. 
When it is gloomy for me, and I can't see where the road is taking me, or the road looks the same and it feels too much, or I can't cope with a road that might take me to new places, remind me I never travel alone. Thank you for your daily care. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment