Friday 2 January 2015

Prayer for January 2nd - a salted caramel yule log sort of day


Today has seemed to me to be a funny sort of holiday day but not holiday day if that makes sense.
I delivered Mum home to Harpenden - the M25 was a dream. The new way of doing the Dartford Crossing is much better. The service stations were full of people still looking very relaxed and enjoying the day. Later I went to meet a friend in St Albans and enjoyed the last pre January detox of a salted caramel yule log in Costa. St Albans felt like it was before Christmas, loads of people about, shopping, laughing, enjoying being together, perhaps the last relaxed day before the realities of January hit on Monday morning.

The M25 was very good again tonight, but then I hit an enormous queue on our favourite bit of road in these parts - the horrid A21. Cars were turning round and I was told a car in front of me was alight. Soon police cars and fire engines were screeching down the road. I guess it hit me that a relaxed day can suddenly be broken into with tragedy. I hope there were no fatalities in the accident, The flames were visible from some distance. Perhaps it reminds us this sort of story to remember those who have had hard things happen to them in this holiday season.

I also was aware that when you are relaxed sometimes life ahead of you means you have to take another direction. I have just got in discovering country lanes around Frant, that were not pleasant to
get me back on the road I needed to be on, a three quarters of an hour diversion. I was glad to follow a car in front of me to get me safely back on familiar territory. This leads me into the theme of the reminder of this little series of blogs - travelling, setting out and arriving, thinking about Epiphany on Tuesday, my last day of writing in this way for a while.

God, thank you for what feels to be the last day of relaxed enjoyment. 
Help me though to be aware that every day life happens, sometimes quite suddenly. 
I pray tonight for those in the car accident, and for all others for who today has been hard or has seen sudden tragedy. Give them your peace. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment