Thursday 5 March 2015

A Lent Course Session 3 - Grace


“If grace is so amazing, why don't Christians show more of it?” -- Philip Yancey –
Read Luke 15 from verse 17 onwards
The story of the young son makes a decisive turn when he gets up and returns to his father. The story says, “But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.” The father’s love was ignited when he caught a glimpse of his son while he was still far away. It was unbecoming and considered undignified for a Jewish man to run. And yet this father sets aside all concern for propriety and runs to his son and says not a word to him. In fact, nowhere in the story does the father ever speak directly to the younger son. His actions speak for him. He throws his arms around his son and kisses him.  The amazing grace of the father is active, not passive. It is assertive and persevering. No doubt he prayed for his son while he was away living a riotous life. He never gave up on him. Never stop thinking about him. And when he finally caught a glimpse of his son, he couldn’t wait to embrace him. There were no words of judgement of condemnation. How normal it would seem for the Father to say, “Well, what do you have to say for yourself? Do you think you can just show up after all these years as if nothing has happened?”

Read Romans 5: 1 – 12 – what is the message of this passage?

Ruth Graham, one of Billy Graham’s 3 daughters tells the story of her brokenness including the embarrassing failure of her second marriage which lasted only a few weeks. As the daughter of the world’s most famous evangelist she was filled with anxious emotions as she drove home to tell her parents. She writes, “Driving up the mountain to my parents’ home was one of the most difficult things I had ever done.
I had no idea what they would say or how they would respond. I had gone against everyone’s advice. As I saw it, I had failed myself, my family, my children, and my God. I felt deserving of condemnation and rejection. What would my parents do? Would they say they had told me so? That I had made my bed and now I would have to lie in it?
 As I approached the house, I saw my father standing there in the driveway. I parked the car and opened the door to get out, but before I could as much as set my foot on the asphalt, my father was by my side. He embraced me with those long arms and said, “Welcome home.” His acceptance instantly silenced my shame. I was broken, but I no longer feared. My father had embraced me at my worst and loved me anyway. I experienced grace. I would not compare my father with God, but that day my father showed me in a very practical, gracious way what God is like.”
God’s grace comes to us, even before we move back toward him.

Read 2 Corinthians 12:8 and 9
What is grace in this passage?   

Tutu’s theology of grace:
“God needed nothing outside of the godhead in order to be God. God did not need us. What a glorious, what a fantastic verity to rejoice over: God wanted us in a very real sense.
God was, and is, totally self-sufficient, and needed and needs nothing outside God in order to be God. God created us, God created the world from an amazing outpouring of the divine love.” See Isaiah 49: 14 – 16
“God loves you, God loves me, not because we could render to God what God lacked. God is fullness of being, needing nothing outside God in order for God to be God. God could have been God without us, without the rest of creation. But God decided otherwise. We were thus created as an act of divine grace, a free gift not to be earned – in fact, unearnable, because we were not there to give God the price of creating us.”
Tutu’s question is this:
We find it extremely difficult to be comfortable with the ethos of grace – of sheer gift. It must certainly be difficult for those who have never lacked anything, who don’t quite know what it is to be without, then to experience the exhilaration of being given – of being offered a gift. Why is it so much harder to receive than to give? 

Wesley on reminding ourselves of the grace of God in our lives – sermon 16. “The Means of Grace” using Malachi 3: 7
“Instituted” means of grace:
1.    Prayer – regular, daily.
2.    Daily meditation of Scripture
3.    The Sacraments – baptism and communion (daily if possible)
4.    Fasting
Christian conference   
Large Minutes of 1780, 1789
General Means of Grace Questions for Consideration
Watching
Do you steadily watch against the world? The devil? Yourselves? Your besetting sin?
Denying Ourselves
 Do you deny yourself every useless pleasure of sense? Imagination? Honour? Are you temperate in all things? For instance in food. Do you use only that kind and that degree which is best both for your body and soul? Do you see the necessity of this?
Do you eat no flesh-suppers? No late suppers?
Do you eat no more at each meal than is necessary? Are you not heavy or drowsy after dinner?
Do you use only that kind and that degree of drink which is best both for your body and soul?
Do you drink water? Why not? Did you ever? Why did you leave it off? If not for health, when will you begin again? Today?
How often do you drink wine or ale? Every day? Do you want [i.e., need] it?
Taking Up Our Cross
 Wherein do you ‘take up your cross daily’? Do you cheerfully ‘bear your cross’ (whatever is grievous to nature) as a gift of God, and labour to profit thereby?
Exercise of the Presence of God
Do you endeavour to set God always before you? To see his eye continually fixed upon you?

The author Frederick Buechner, in his book Wishful Thinking, puts it this way: "The grace of God means something like: Here is your life. You might never have been, but you are because the party wouldn't have been complete without you. Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid. I am with you. Nothing can ever separate us. It's for you I created the universe. I love you. There's only one catch. Like any other gift, the gift of grace can be yours only if you'll reach out and take it. Maybe being able to reach out and take it is a gift too."
Need to remember God’s grace and share God’s grace: Tutu from “An African Prayer Book”
“At the moment when we least deserved it, God demonstrated his gracious love by pouring it out so unreservedly for us. To sin is to hurt and reject this love. Forgiveness is the possibility of a new start. When we fail, God does not abandon us and say, “Good riddance to bad rubbish!” No, God picks us up, dusts us off, and says “Try again.” Christianity is the faith is ever-new beginnings. ”
What is the last sentence of the Bible? Read Revelation 22: 17 onwards
  
The God whom Jesus revealed isn't mean or scary. Rather, said Jesus, he's the sort of God who throws a party for a child who wasted the family fortune, who refuses to condemn a woman caught in the act of adultery, who breaks taboos of ethnicity and gender to encourage a woman who had been married five times, who welcomes a criminal into his kingdom as the man gasps for breath while being executed, and who embraces his closest disciples even though they abandoned him and denied ever knowing him. Isn’t that grace?

And so the last page of the Bible invites everyone with these welcoming words: "Let him who hears say, 'Come!' Whoever is thirsty let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life" (Revelation 22:17). And note how it ends!

No comments:

Post a Comment