Thursday 26 March 2015

Thoughts from Holy Island




Some people ask me why I go to Lindisfarne so often. This years first of two retreats has been the most special yet. Perhaps I was more ready for it this time as I have had a very hectic few months. I think I have rediscovered three important spiritual lessons this week:

1. The importance of regular daily prayer.
I love the rhythm of prayer on this Island. Daily disciplined prayer is a communion with God we need to take more seriously. I have reread Bonhoeffer's "God is on the Cross" this week. In one of his sermons he says we can do nothing without doing morning prayer first in our day. That beginning of the day for me is so easily lost going straight to the e mails. This must stop! I can do half an hour of prayer and an office can't I? The little card on the pews in the church each night reminded me that an office comes from the Latin for duty. It has been good to remember duty ... Even if the feast of the Annunication is not in my tradition - I had great fun explaining it to someone from a very evangelical church!! 

2. The privilege of community.
Staying in a house where on arrival you have no idea who is going to be sharing the experience is always amazing. Each time I discover a group of people maybe who I won't meet again but with whom I have formed deep community for a few days. I thank God for shared meals, conversations round a kettle, some sharing of some real pastoral stuff, and watching the sunset together or silly people stuck on the causeway. I thank God for Heather, Ray, Jacqui, Jean, Mike and Glynn. All of them came to the Island with needs, rest, healing, to read about baptism in the Spirit, searching for meaning, or, in the case of two of us in ordained ministry, a break. Sometimes community can be hard, but when you work at it, it is amazing. The seven of us had very different theologies and church experience but there was respect and learning from one another round the meal table and when meeting one another while out walking. Of course community can also be impossible. Some of us found sharing an island with tourists hard. Especially the woman who took pictures of one of us meditating in a garden or another blessed soul who barged me almost out of my cafe window seat because she wanted to sit there!

3. The need to slow down and notice the blessings of God.
Before I came away I was told I am a workaholic. I am not but the work has been great recently and I have had to rush around. People who make such comments though don't see me resting or recharging with other things than church and my lovely (rediscovered) deep friendships. But this week has reminded me I need more times to stand and stare and notice  what there is around me. I have enjoyed watching lambs gambol, the tide coming in, the ponies in the field outside my room, listening to birds sing, sheep baa, seals howl and whatever noise cuddy ducks make! I have taken time over food - and conversation. Perhaps I need it to be fine to breathe in between business especially when it is busy ( like Holy Week ahead with 13 services in 8 days!) I love the prayer which goes thank you God for the bright and glorious things of life, help us to count them and remember them. Back home too!

A service is forming in my head on these thoughts which may be delivered after Easter! But I remember some words I read on my first visit to the island in 2009 to stay - you come here not to get away but to go back. We all of us need to get back to God in order to be Gods people where he wants us to be. But now I must go for my dinner as it is nearly 1 ! Written Thursday in the only cafe with wifi!

No comments:

Post a Comment