Thursday 24 March 2016

Maundy Thursday - Remembering but also lamenting



Maundy Thursday has always been special to me. A day we remember the many facets of Jesus, invitation, inclusiveness, breaking and pouring out, abandonment in the dark, the decree to live by a new commandment despite what we have done to him before.

I miss doing Tenebrae today - a moving service I especially enjoyed doing while in Oakham, the gradual extinguishing of light to symbolise the forsaking of Jesus by his friends. I miss leading my own service today. We join with the Anglicans today which is always good, but you know this year I struggled with it. We sang the mighty hymn " O thou who at thy eucharist didst pray that all thy church might be for ever one." But we weren't one - well at least not clergy wise. I did not share in the administration of the elements. It isn't allowed. It felt wrong tonight when we think about communion being all are welcome. I received it, it was good to kneel at the rail and receive it, but I wanted to be equal with my Anglican brothers (for they were both men)! The last time I was in this church I moaned - to be told it would be too difficult for me a Methodist to officiate. Don't get me started on the Anglican Methodist Covenant where it talks about full interchangeability of ministry!! (And was signed 12 years ago!) I am not having a go at my lovely Anglican colleagues who are brilliant and we have the closest ecumenical sharing I have ever had in our town - but.... tonight when we remember the gift of communion, something didn't feel right.

Maundy Thursday to me is about a radical new way of being as a community. Jesus offers God in an exciting, dynamic, amazing way. Part of himself is freely given no matter who you are. Stuff rules. Did Jesus really talk about canon law and CPD at the supper? I think not.
Earlier today the children at our fabulous Methodist school shared the story of this week with us in church. They remembered the events of Easter through painting the story. Some of the paintings were amazing. All the school were involved in the story as were parents. At lunchtime today I had a meal with our lovely Hollington family who eat together regularly. They are very kind to me as they tell me when it is on and like me to come even though I am not their minister. Lunch was sacramental, deep conversation. Can toad in the hole be sacramental?!?! I then went on to do my lovely colleague's ministerial development review where we reflected on how well things are going as she has settled in. People are warming to her investment in them, making them feel they matter.

Do this in remembrance of me. Maundy Thursday surely is about remembering the sort of Jesus the Church is meant to represent. So children, dinner, pastoral care show me today Jesus. Less so, the rules of the C of E! But let's not go there again.

Tomorrow we remember Jesus died for all, and took on the rubbish and the rules that inhibit. One day I think we will all see how silly some things we think matter, are.

 

1 comment:

  1. excellent post Ian, it seems strange that all too often we build up the very barriers that Jesus came to demolish.

    As for the sacramental nature of toad in the hole, I am with you there :-)

    ReplyDelete