Sunday 28 April 2019

A reminder what we are for



We are in the Peterborough area this weekend for personal stuff to be sorted. This morning I attended worship in the cathedral. Here is the view from my seat. It’s always a privilege to worship in it. I’m still in awe every time I am there we got married in it. This morning had I not been feeling a bit wobbly I would have helped serve communion - seriously! They were short of clergy people and I was asked if I’d help. I needed to receive this morning for reasons I need not go into so I declined. But as last week with the invitation to read the Gospel at 5am on Holy Island, it meant a lot to be recognised as an ordained person.

This morning’s service was very powerful for two reasons. The Canon Missioner, Sarah Brown, preached a belter of a sermon. She reminded us on the second Sunday of Easter that the resurrection “is a glimmer of the world to come” and the Gospel is the same as it was when it was written and the disciples after they received the Holy Spirit prepared themselves in prayer and talking about Jesus for evangelism. She challenged the cathedral congregation they had a task to share their faith. “The problem is the Church,” she said. We’ve lost the confidence and the desire to tell the story. So the Church is dying. I’m not sure how what she said went down but it was good to hear a challenge. 

But what I will remember more from this morning is that I was welcomed as me into the worshipping community. I went up for communion.

I badly needed to receive this morning to earth me when at the moment much is uncertain. Canon Sarah put the wafer in my hand, looked at me and said “The Body of Christ broken for you, Ian.” I’ve only met her a few times and I don’t attend the cathedral often, but she called me by name. I mattered and I belonged. And after the service I was given pastoral care by people that know me a little and wanted to include me. It’s amazing that Peterborough Cathedral is my space at the moment like Hailsham Methodist Church has been. Next Sunday I am in their service thanking them for their care in the six months we’ve been in their fellowship. All of us need to belong. It’s been good to receive well. 

Canon Sarah challenged us that we need to live as though we believe what we sit and listen to in these Easter weeks. Christ is risen. Death has been defeated. Jesus gives us his peace. Even in misery and despair, we hold onto the promise of God that love will come again. Tonight’s Nite Blessing is a challenge:

‪When you stand in the wasteland of hurt may you be given grace to give God the pain. If you have hurt someone else may be you willing to apologise. If someone has hurt you may you be able to address it properly, not lightly. May God protect you from further heartache.‬



At the moment, life is uncertain. There are many huge unanswered questions in our life. We went to A and E this afternoon as Lis has a gammy foot and is in pain. She can’t walk very far. We need answers about some important stuff. And answers aren’t coming. But I hold on. There is a possibility of something to brighten us, but we are in the hands of others and big answers are out of our control. But Easter faith tells me to believe God has a plan and all will be well, indeed flourish for us. 



We keep going, remembering the basics. We journey and work for a new world which in the risen Jesus we have glimpsed. Church matters for people, but does the Gospel? If the world is going to change, we need to relearn urgently what we are meant to share. We sang this this morning: 

At the Lamb's high feast we sing 
praise to our victorious King, 
who hath washed us in the tide 
flowing from his pierced side; 
praise we him, whose love divine 
gives his sacred Blood for wine, 
gives his Body for the feast, 
Christ the victim, Christ the priest.

Where the Paschal blood is poured, 
death's dark angel sheathes his sword; 
Israel's hosts triumphant go 
through the wave that drowns the foe. 
Praise we Christ, whose blood was shed, 
Paschal victim, Paschal bread; 
with sincerity and love 
eat we manna from above.

Mighty victim from on high, 
hell's fierce powers beneath thee lie; 
thou hast conquered in the fight, 
thou hast brought us life and light: 
now no more can death appall, 
now no more the grave entrall; 
thou hast opened paradise, 
and in thee thy saints shall rise.

Easter triumph, Easter joy, 
sin alone can this destroy; 
from sin's power do thou set free 
souls newborn, O Lord, in thee. 
Hymns of glory and of praise, 
Risen Lord, to thee we raise; 
Holy Father, praise to thee, 
with the Spirit, ever be.



No comments:

Post a Comment