Thursday 9 April 2020

Good Friday: Eeyore, Emily Maitlis and a plea to be remembered...




A Good Friday Meditation: Luke 23: 33 - 46 

What have Eeyore, Emily Maitlis and an unnamed criminal on a cross to do with this day? 

It is Eeyore’s birthday and Winnie the Pooh and Piglet have forgotten. They need presents, quick. Piglet has a balloon and Pooh has a pot of honey. They decide to give these to Eeyore. But on the way to Eeyore’s house, Piglet’s balloon bursts, and Pooh eats all the honey in the pot. So they arrive at Eeyore’s house with what they call a useful pot and a piece of damp rag. Rubbish presents really, but there’s this lovely scene of Eeyore putting the piece of rag in and out of the pot.

Let A A Milne tell the story better than I can: 

Pooh tells Eeyore that he has brought him a Useful Pot, with A Very Happy Birthday with Love from Pooh written on the side, and that Eeyore can use it to put things in. And he gives Eeyore the pot.

At this point Eeyore become quite excited, because has just spotted something very interesting indeed. He tells Pooh that his balloon will fit into the pot! Pooh says no, and explains that balloons are much too big to go into pots, and what Eeyore should do with a balloon is hold it and...

But Eeyore says that his balloon is different, and he picks it up with his teeth, and puts it into the pot - and it fits beautifully! So he takes it out again, and puts it in again, and takes it out again, and puts it in again.


"So it does!" said Pooh. "It goes in!"
"So it does!" said Piglet. "And it comes out!"
"Doesn't it?" said Eeyore. "It goes in and out like anything."

So Pooh and Piglet are both very glad that they have given Eeyore such useful and entertaining presents, and they let Eeyore know how glad they are, but Eeyore is too busy putting his balloon into the pot and then taking it out again, and he is very happy indeed!

Why am I sharing this story on Good Friday? Eeyore is happy because he is remembered. 


What has Emily Maitlis to do with Good Friday? 

On Newsnight on Wednesday she began the programme with a heartfelt correction to what was said earlier that day that this virus is a “great leveller” and can be beaten by “fortitude and character.” She said the poor are more likely to get it, and those on the frontline, and the mental health of the poor on their own in a tower block or small flat during the lockdown is tougher than it is for most of us and those who are working for the good of others are more likely to be exposed. Then she said we have a health issue with huge ramifications for social welfare and a welfare issue with huge ramifications for public health. 

She was calling for those who might be forgotten especially when the cost of this crisis begins to bite, to be remembered. 


Jesus on this day is put on a cross between two unnamed criminals. One rails at him: “if you are the Christ, save yourself and us.” The other sees who Jesus is. They deserve their fate, he has done nothing wrong. Then he says “Jesus, remember me, when you come into your Kingdom.” And Jesus says to him “truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.” 

The man isn’t named in the Bible, but the Roman Catholic Church has named him as Saint Dismas - a name which means sunset. He came to Jesus just in time, was penitent and wanted a different future. He’s the patron saint of those condemned to death. 

Jesus, remember me. 

I am fearful of the future as this virus spreads and we are locked down for longer.

Jesus, remember me.

I am weak and frail and struggling to cope. 

Jesus, remember me. 

I am lonely and have no one to help me. 

Jesus, remember me. 

I do not know the way ahead.

Jesus, remember me. 

But today, seeing you on the cross and watching you die for me, I trust you. 

Jesus, remember me. 

You promised the one nailed next to you a place with you in paradise. I want that too.

Jesus, remember me. 

I want to be part of your Kingdom. I get who you are. I stand with you and I’m overwhelmed as you suffer, you comfort me.

Jesus, remember me. 


What is the message of Good Friday? Eeyore felt good because he was remembered; there is a call when we rebuild things after it is safe to go out again for society to remember everyone. The cross is all about a Saviour who gives his life not for some, but for all of humanity.

 Remember how John the Gospel writer puts the vastness of God’s love. “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whosoever believes in him may have eternal life, for God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.” 

Jesus, remember me.

Remember how the apostle Paul puts it in Romans:  “You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”

Jesus, remember me. 

The good news of Good Friday is that we are remembered.

We are remembered whether we are rich or poor, black or white, young or old, male or female, gay, transgender, bisexual or straight, whether we vote conservative or labour or don’t bother at all, wherever we are, however we feel, whatever we’ve done — we are remembered. To not be remembered is to die. We need to know we matter. 

Know this today, Jesus opens his arms on the cross and wraps us into his embrace and says to us “ no matter how you feel and no matter what you do for me, I love you. I remember you. Today you will be with me in paradise.”

To say to Jesus today we want to be remembered when he comes into his Kingdom means we will work for it, building a world where all are remembered - with presents on a birthday and inclusion as we recover from a national crisis. Let us hope acts of kindness after it is passed continue, that we look out for each other. And let us hope those who are throwing food at supermarket workers or putting their hands round their neck or spitting at police in parks  making out they have the virus or fill supermarket trolleys full to brim so others have to go without, well, may they see the error of their ways. 


I’m often asked what the heart of Methodist theology is. Today I can do no better than point us all to a mighty Charles Wesley hymn. Charles Wesley’s hymns enabled people to sing their faith. And then put it into action! Don’t forget that. It’s like my local preachers tutor years ago saying to me in a sermon I should tell them what I am going to tell them, then tell them, then tell them what to do about what they’ve been told. 

The biggest word in Methodist hymnody is “all” - today we stand at the foot of the cross - this is what we celebrate as good: we are all remembered. This, for me, is the greatest Methodist hymn. And beware the organist who suggests you might leave a verse or two out: you need to sing it all. I’ll put a you tube link to it in case you don’t know it, at the end. 

Let earth and heaven agree,
Angels and men be joined,
To celebrate with me
The Saviour of mankind;
To adore the all-atoning Lamb,
And bless the sound of Jesu's name.

Jesus, transporting sound!
The joy of earth and heaven;
No other help is found,
No other name is given,
By which we can salvation have;
But Jesus came the world to save.

Jesus, harmonious name!
It charms the hosts above;
They evermore proclaim
And wonder at his love;
'Tis all their happiness to gaze,
'Tis heaven to see our Jesu's face.

His name the sinner hears,
And is from sin set free;
'Tis music in his ears,
'Tis life and victory;
New songs do now his lips employ,
And dances his glad heart for joy.

Stung by the scorpion sin,
My poor expiring soul
The balmy sound drinks in,
And is at once made whole:
See there my Lord upon the tree!
I hear, I feel, he died for me.

O unexampled love!
O all-redeeming grace!
How swiftly didst thou move
To save a fallen race!
What shall I do to make it known
What thou for all mankind hast done?

O for a trumpet voice,
On all the world to call!
To bid their hearts rejoice
In him who died for all;
For all my Lord was crucified,
For all, for all my Saviour died!

https://youtu.be/9h_4oog2VuE




No comments:

Post a Comment