Saturday 13 March 2021

Our time in God’s hands



Passage for reflection: Psalm 31 

I’m doing a series of Lent reflections on Tuesday evenings on zoom but for the next few weekwill also be here in paper fbeen reading Rowan Williams’ book “Candles in the Dark” about hope in a pandemic and for the next four weeks I’ll share some of his thougsome of my own as we East


Passage for reflection: Psalm 31


How have you found the last year?

 

I never imagined as I led worship at Terrington St John in Norfolk a year ago to a congregation of four that it would be the last service I’d take in a church building that included singing, a long sermon, lasted an hour and had chat together afterwards. That morning, although we had hand sanitiser in use and were careful how we shared communion and we wiped down door handles and hymn books, none of us really got that eight days later we would be in lockdown and church buildings would be closed. 

 

The doctor advised us back in March to shield as we are both asthmatic. Shielding has not been easy. Everything we usually take for granted has suddenly not been possible. In lockdown one we saw few people in four months apart from a supermarket delivery person once a week, and Nicci, the circuit lay worker who kindly fetched our medication from the surgery.


I remember having to go for a blood test at Wisbech hospital in July and being overwhelmed by the number of people around me.

 

Shielding all three times has brought us good days and bad days. I’ve had days when I couldn’t focus, have stayed in bed too long, have eaten too much chocolate and crisps and have watched too much news or rubbish television. But I’ve also had days when I’ve found myself being creative with time to be rather than rush around. Walking by the River Nene in the spring and summer towards The Wash became my precious prayer and reflective time; joining in various acts of worship on line through the week of different styles has been a help; getting into a discipline of writing a weekly sermon posted on line, doing films of my ramblings about faith, again posted on line which people who go nowhere near a church watched, became fun to do. Spiritually, at a time of fear and uncertainty, I have found the 150 Psalms a huge comfortThis current lockdown time has been the hardest. Moving to a new appointment in a pandemic isn’t to be recommended! This third one has had me just wanting to get out and get on, to just go round the Spar for some bits and most desperate get chips from Kirkby Fisheries the only chippy round here who don’t cook in dripping! I’ve been zoomed out and exhausted a lot when I’ve been staring at a screen for too long.

 



It’s important sometimes to just sit and think where God has been through all of this. In his book of reflections, Rowan Williams has a reflection called “all times belong to him.” 

“In every moment, every encounter, in times of boredom, anger and anxiety, Jesus is with us, offering himself to us.” All of us have had times this past year where I guess we have had spiritual crises. But also maybe without doing church as we’ve always done it, we’ve discovered new things, time to reflect, holding on to the things that matter. 

 

There’s a verse in Psalm 31:  our times are in his hand. No matter what we’ve been through this past year God has been there. Rowan Williams has these lovely words describing how Jesus is present always: this moment matters it is a moment in which you can grow a bit or shrink a bit as a human being. It is a moment in which my love is there for you, and my invitation to life is set before you. Don’t panic because you are not in control. Your precious humanity is in my hands, and I am ready to give you what is needed to assure you of your dignity and beauty and worth.

 

If you are like me, then sometimes on those days when lockdown has been too much and now we just want it to end – but end safely, it’s been a struggle some days to see Jesus. But here’s another Rowan Williams quote: “even if all we can do is through gritted teeth acknowledge God in Christ has promised to be with us until the end of time, we have recognised that the time we live through is lived through with us by our Creator and lover, whose welcome, invite and giving is unceasing.

 

So think about the last year, where have the real struggles and deep joys been? Where has God appeared in your day? How do you remember all times are in his hand? Isn’t it often in struggle we see him? 

 

Here’s a prayer which is used on Holy Saturday in Anglican churches who do the Easter vigil. A lovely service I encourage you one year to go and find: 

 

Jesus Christ, yesterday and today, the beginning and the ending, Alpha and Omega; all time belongs to him, and all ages; to him be glory and dominion forever and ever.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment