Sunday 28 March 2021

The Monday of Holy Week - Betrayal



“Who is it, Lord, that betrays you?

Who is it that lets you down?

Who is it that loses their way?

When push comes to shove, who turns aside, beguiled by the world?

Forgive me, Lord, when that person is me. 

Feed me still, by your own hand; speak to me in gentle tones, and always give me one more chance.”

Karen Campbell, from the URC Prayer Handbook for 2020.

I’m still, believe it or not, sorting my books. I don’t have enough shelves or space in my study for all the resources I’ve gathered over the years so I’m going through what I might be prepared to let go of! I came across the URC prayer book for last year and found the prayer above very helpful and somewhat challenging.

The Holy Week story is one of human forsaking of the divine path, leaving Jesus forsaken and alone. The Word made flesh, healer, befriender, one worth following in good times, giver of everything to his friends and those in need, worth sticking with — and this is what we do to him. We let him be condemned, abandoned, betrayed, denied, left to rot on a rubbish tip outside the city and then we pretend we didn’t know him or that we had anything to do with him.

I’m really enjoying Line of Duty. I watched all five of the previous series before the sixth series began last week. Some of the dodgy characters were extremely dodgy! Keeley Hawes playing Lindsay Denton was cold, but for me the worst so far has been Thandie Newton in series 4 who was bewitchingly calculating. Let’s see what this series brings. That Joanne Davidson isn’t to be trusted. Ted is on to her. He is only interested in finding bent coppers! 

What if there was an AC 12 investigation into bent disciples? Well, there’s Peter for a start. He says he’s never heard of Jesus. Then there’s the crowd. They shouted Hosanna yesterday, now offered a choice of Barabbas or Jesus they choose to release the criminal over the innocent. Anything to keep in with the authorities. And what of Judas Iscariot? The corrupt treasurer, colluding with the Jewish authorities desparate to have this rebel preacher done away with. Jesus knew Peter and Judas would deny and betray. Peter was later given a second chance but for Judas it was too late. When he realised what he’d done he took his own life. A tragic part of the story.

When you are abandoned or betrayed, it hurts. When you are left to suffer alone, the pain of isolation is overwhelming.
When stories are spread about you that aren’t true but people believe them so you are ostracised, it is horrific, because suddenly you find yourself outside of society, friendship and care. 
When it’s clear you need support but everyone is too busy or doesn’t seem to care, you begin to wonder if it’s you who is the problem.

The Holy Week drama leaves Jesus in all those scenarios. Never underestimate what we can do if we want to destroy someone or beat their soul to pulp until they think they are worthless and need, like Jesus, to be cast aside to die alone. 

Of course it’s easy to just read of this happening in Jesus’ last week on earth long ago. But I said at the beginning of this rambling, reading Karen Campbell’s prayer, what if the denier or the betrayer is me, right now, today? 

How I act as a Christian matters. By not caring about pastoral need or injustice in the world, I deny Jesus and betray him as much as Peter and Judas did. How I live out my Christianity matters. I’m being watched and judged outside the church whether my Christianity is relevant and genuine. When I’m selfish or say I haven’t the time or want  to go a different way than what is required of me, then I don’t deserve to be called a Christian anymore and I should get, in Line of Duty speak, a regulation 15, calling me for a severe examination into my calling. 

The events of this week ahead are all about human folly. I used to go to a church called The Folly! We are all foolish. Yet we are forgiven. This week let’s be honest when we fail and let’s remember however bent a disciple we are, it need not be the end. No matter what we do unbelievably, he sticks with us. I think we call that grace.  





No comments:

Post a Comment