Friday 16 February 2024

Life’s journey - my second Lent blog



Sometimes a simple journey can turn into a nightmare. Take the train, they say. Then you hit the reality of LNER! I’m beginning to write this on Leeds station after one of the most unpleasant journeys I’ve undertaken for many years. A five coach train when we’d all booked a seat on a ten coach one. We crammed on. The train manager, a lovely man called Neil told us those on the trains were “sick of it” as putting five coach trains on when there were meant to be double the coaches is a regular occurrence. The carriage I was in got hotter and hotter and it was unbearable until it began to lessen in numbers at Wakefield Westgate —- and now I’m stuck in Leeds as there was a failed train on the platform in front of us so we sat outside the station for ages so I’ve missed my connection to Harrogate. There’s another in a bit. Neil said “I would say I hope the delays haven’t caused you inconvenience but I know they have. I’m so sorry.”

Maybe the journey of life is as complicated. Three of us at a thanksgiving service today (which I’ll come to) were reflecting on the state of the world. We were discussing food banks in affluent areas. People’s journeys are tough and it’s hard to keep going. We get on for the ride but it’s not comfortable and it’s tough to see a way forward as tough as folk trying to get through coach B to the loo past people standing in every space they could find. Neil said “I would normally pass through the train but that’s impossible!” We loved his honesty. 



Life is tough. The journey is hard. We need help. Tomorrow I’m leading a quiet day for my circuit on journeying. Sadly there’s only a few coming. But we will have a good time. Abram journeyed into the unknown “not knowing whither he went” to a land that God would show him. People thought he was mad but he had his eye and heart on the destination - not Harrogate - but an abiding with God in “a city which has the foundations whose builder and maker is God.” I love that chapter of the letter to the Hebrews. It’s about certainty in uncertainty. Moses, my second character tomorrow, found a burning bush irresistible, but he wasn’t sure he was equipped to make the journey God called him to make. Then there’s Jesus. Jesus who made a journey into the desert to think for forty long days. I’m writing a sermon and blog for Sunday about when we are driven on
a journey - compelled to go, even if we don’t know how we will get there.



Today we’ve been at the thanksgiving service for the life of Brenda Ackroyd. There aren’t many people I’d leave the house at 7.30am for and have a day of rail hassle! Brenda had a long life and her journey was one of deep faith, smiling and Christian witness and certainty. She helped many young people at Batford church know how to live in a right and good way, she was a down to earth Methodist local preacher, she led the sisterhood at Kinsbourne Green when I was lay worker there, I shared leading junior church at Batford with her and her husband Geoff, she was a dear friend to many (we were all “dear”) and she was an encouraging letter writer. I have many letters from her written to encourage me on important points of my journey. Brenda knew God in Jesus held her in life and now holds her in eternity and it was a privilege to be back in Harpenden today even if I’m not home yet — to celebrate her pilgrimage. 



We need certainty when there’s so much in life that is uncertain. I’m on the last bit of my journey on the train to Harrogate. Late! But I’ll arrive back in one piece - just. Deacon Sarah, who led Brenda’s service just right today shared with us she sang a hymn with Brenda in her final days, which summed up her faith and positivity. 
“Breathe through the heat of our desire, thy coolness and thy balm, let sense be dumb, let flesh retire, speak through the earthquake, wind, and fire, o still small voice of calm.” 

Tonight Neil said he would get us home. Late yes, but safe. And God does that too. Remember Jesus in that wilderness desolation was attended to by angels. Uncertainty on the journey? God is with us and ahead of us… know it. Maybe if we are stuck in a LNER nightmare we need to know we will get through it. I rather therefore like tonight’s nite blessing and I pray it for you if your journey is hard and you cannot see a way ahead.

May the flame of hope be kept alight in your soul by the grace and mercy of God. No matter how dark things seem, and no matter how far away the dawn feels, may God hold you through it all. May you hear the heartbeat of his tender care as he embraces you in the dark. 





No comments:

Post a Comment