Thursday 29 February 2024

My fifth Lent blog - an extra day


What to do with this leap day? One extra day every four years making the dreary month of February one day longer. Apart from ladies being able to propose today, it’s a day when leaplings can celebrate their birthday on their actual birthday. One of our Circuit stewards is 19 today.

I’ve been at the hospital and have tried to clear a mountain of admin with a large mug of coffee. Apart from that it’s been a day like any other. Getting on with getting on. And making a difference. How about this article about one of my villages in yesteryear and why the vicar was popular!!!!!



I found this on an American website: 

Leap Years are necessary to sync the Gregorian calendar with the earth's revolutions around the sun. The earth requires 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, and 46 seconds to make one revolution. Since the Gregorian calendar year only has 365 days, failing to add one day every four years would mean losing six hours annually and a total of 24 days over 100 years.

In chapter 10 of the book of Joshua, Joshua needed extra time. Daylight was waning, and he hadn't finished defeating God's enemies. He decided to pray and ask God for more time. God answered by allowing the sun to stand still.

I've often wished for more than an extra day. A few more hours in every day would do nicely.

Joshua's reason for needing extra time was admirable; mine doesn't always fall into the same category. I suppose when God gives extra time I need to reflect on why I have it. Is it because I'm lazy? Are there things I should do? Does God have plans I'm not following? Does He want me to rest?

Of course, the opposite may also be true. God might withhold extra time because I'm not using His allotted time judiciously. Jesus tells several parables demonstrating the necessity of using wisely what God has given along with warning about what can happen when I don't.

Leap Year gives me an extra day for meditation-and perhaps action. A day that won't surface for another four years. A day to meditate on some crucial questions: "What have I done with Jesus?" And "What am I doing for Him?" A day to contemplate His goodness in spite of my badness as well as His undeserved unconditional love and forgiveness even when I don't meet His expectations.

Leap Year re-aligns the calendar with the earth's rotation, preventing the loss of time. Taking advantage of the extra time God gives can re-align priorities, decisions, relationships, and life in general.

I don’t like the Old Testament thing of defeating enemies as God’s work - not helpful in the climate of Israel and Gaza today - but I get the point of the article. 

Do we need extra time to make good our mistakes, sort our priorities? Or like Brian Bilston do we just make the best of every day? I guess so. 



No comments:

Post a Comment