Sunday 20 May 2012

A church that does you good...


I found this cartoon from Asbo Jesus. I find it funny but also very sad because it can be so true.
I long for a church that heals, that walks alongside, that is compassionate, suffering with people, that doesn't judge or make inappropriate comments, that doesn't say you are okay then you find out you've been stabbed in the back. I long for a church that accepts without reserve.

Today I led folk in thinking about the Methodist emphasis on the priority of God's love, that all are welcome and all are accepted in the ethos of my denomination. I passionately believe we need to rediscover that basic principle of what we are about. I am sorry when I keep hearing stories of people stressed by church, made unwell by church and staying away from church because of unchristian behaviour they experience from people who should know better!

I remain in the church to change the church. Someone told me this morning to never stop being me and never stop saying what needs to be said, even though it can bring horrid stuff to me personally. I read Luke 4 verses 16 to 21 this morning, Jesus manifesto of Kingdom values in the synagogue in Nazareth. The faithful there received his words and were so angry they tried to hurl him over a cliff. That hasn't happened to me - yet!

I discovered this "mission statement" in a church I visited recently. I like it:

Our mission is to proclaim the love of God and share the good news of Jesus Christ with all people.
Our vision is to grow in faith: to worship, pray and learn,  to care for one another, to offer support and encouragement. 
Our aim is to serve others; to be a good neighbour in the community,  to challenge injustice,  to use our resources wisely.

That to me is what a church is for. That is how we become relevant again. Being there, being open, feeling people’s pain and joy, and not being frightened to get our hands dirty for others, rather than beating up others who aren't like us or challenge us.  People this morning loved the fact we sang some Wesley hymns. 
If we are really to celebrate Wesley and his story, then a real celebration of him and what God hath wrought would be to emulate his talent for reaching out to ordinary people in practical demonstrations of Christianity. Sounds simple, doesn't it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment