Wednesday 24 April 2013

Using things around us to speak of God...

Luis Suarez
It has been a long couple of days but good ones. I've been doing some reflecting on using culture and stuff around us to help people understand God a bit more.  

This morning I was privileged to do two school assemblies. I have rediscovered in this appointment how much fun they can be. At Guestling School this morning I was asked to explore humility. We talked about whether we feel important, some children did, others did not, "because I am not the Queen" said one. We then thought about famous people and whether they are important. I suggested they name a famous person and we might discuss them. Jessie J was who the children wanted to talk about. They suggested she is a good role model, a good singer, nice, she "turns her chair round and praises people" and is smiley. I did cause a bit of a riot when I said she "had her head shaved off for Comic Relief"! We then thought about famous people feeling TOO important. I talked with the children about Luis Suarez and Sunday's appalling biting of another player. We explored how humility is thinking less about yourself and more about the other. I was told afterwards by a teacher they now "got humility" whereas before it had been "too difficult" to understand when vicars have been in and used long words. "Not many ministers would be able to discuss Jessie J with seven year olds" she laughed! A bit later at Rye Primary School, I was asked to speak with the children about anger. I used the Suarez episode again. We explored how violent anger is wrong and we explored what would happen to me if church members who annoyed me were suddenly bitten by me. Liverpool supporters in the hall did not think what he did was right. Both assemblies were powerful theological times. I am sorry older people inside churches still insist children in schools are not exploring God. There is more deep theology and discussion about life done in school halls than in church really. What does this say about churches?

Tonight, I've facilitated a meeting to try and get some house groups up and running across the Methodist churches of Hastings and St Leonards. We are hoping to start some groups in September. I told the meeting another story from last night to highlight the need to know how to engage with real life to stand a chance of sharing God properly with anyone. 
I met a couple wanting to get married a year in October in our little St Helens Church. 
They said "we didn't know you could get married in that church, we thought you could only get married in a proper church."
I asked what they thought a proper church might be! The answer was one with gravestones in it. 
We then went on to have another deep theological discussion about death. The lady could not go in a church with a graveyard because it was spooky and reminded her of her mother's funeral, the last time she went in a church. We spent a good half hour thinking about death and hope and life. It was very good to reflect with that couple about something that had clearly been bothering them for ages. I shared with the group tonight we have to be prepared to meet people where they are, and begin from where they are, if we are to be relevant for them. A negative feeling about gravestones, Jessie J, angry sore losers on the football pitch can all be used to start conversation about spiritual things. I reflect that this is exactly what Jesus did, he took the things around him and told stories about them, he knew about his own popular culture, he knew what people were talking about and he started engagement by meeting people where they were. So often the Church gets it wrong by wanting people to start where the Church wants them to be - that is not how to go about it today. 
I wonder what ordinary things or people around me might be used to start conversation tomorrow?   
                

No comments:

Post a Comment