Monday 20 December 2021

The Monday before Christmas: being lanterns




I’ve decided, as I’m not at all feeling Christmasy, to write a reflection and post it every day from today until 6th January, whatever comes into my head. How is the Christ event relevant for 2021?

I came across this quote earlier today from the best Advent book ever written:

“It is not your glory but his, you have to consent to be transparent, to be the lantern, not the light, like John the Baptist...Are you prepared to let the joy of the Lord radiate to others through you?" 
Maria Boulding, The Coming of God


I always choose Cradled in a manger meanly on Christmas morning. There’s a verse in that hymn which asks God to make a Christmas in our hearts. We want positivity in this season. We want love and joy and peace. We don’t want Boris to ruin it with more restrictions. We want Christmas to make a difference to our sorry lives even for a few hours. 

Tonight, in the first of these reflections, I remember those who in my life have made a difference to me by knowing Christ in their hearts always and passing him on through gentle authentic Christian care and evangelism. Being the lantern to point me to the light. 

Who would be on your list of lanterns, I wonder? 

We live in a world that likes to be noticed and affirmed for what it does. But genuine Christian presence is not about being praised for how much we do, but how we are leading others to consider whether Jesus and his teaching is for them. Remember John Wesley said once “I came into the town and offered them Christ.” He also talked about “commending the Saviour.” How are we letting the joy of the Lord radiate to others through us, as others have done that to us?  I watched  an episode of One Foot In The Grave on the I player earlier tonight. Victor and Margaret Meldrew are in a train. He thinks she’s said something he didn’t quite hear:
“I’m sorry.”
“I didn’t say anything.”
“Oh, I thought you were going to say “for God’s sake stop moaning or something.”

We are good at negative comments. Why can’t we be more positive and optimistic? Radiating joy spreads joy, being miserable spreads misery. The coming of God makes a difference and like the saints who’ve helped us on our journey, we are called to shine the light to lead others to the one true light that the darkness can never put out. Know this tonight: by being a lantern you never know what difference you can make. It isn’t about our glory but the glory of God. The herald hasn’t always got it easy. The bearer of a lantern may find objectors who snuff the light out. John the Baptist in the end lost his head! But his call prior to death never was extinguished.

I leave you tonight with an old hymn. May we this week, be lanterns… and may we share joy a bit…

God make my life a little light
Within the world to glow;
A little flame that burneth bright,
Wherever I may go.

God make my life a little flower
That giveth joy to all,
Content to bloom in native bower.
Although the place be small.

God make my life a little song
That comforteth the sad
That helpeth others to be strong,
And makes the singer glad.

God make my life a little staff
Whereon the weak may rest,
That so what health and strength I have
May serve my neighbours best.

God make my life a little hymn
Of tenderness and praise.
Of faith, that never waxeth dim,
In all His wondrous ways.






No comments:

Post a Comment