Wednesday 22 December 2021

The Wednesday before Christmas: Remembering what’s it’s all about…






One of my folk sent me an extract from the Dictionary of Methodism in Britain and Ireland about John Wesley’s two visits to Ripon. In May 1780 he preached at the chapel on Coltsgate Hill, now sadly derelict. 

2 May 1780. “We came to Ripon, and observed a remarkable turn of Providence. The great hindrance of the work of God in this place has suddenly disappeared, and the poor people, being delivered from their fear, gladly flocked together to hear His word. The new preaching house was quickly more than filled. Surely some of them will not be forgetful hearers!'

The Dictionary entry tells us early Methodists suffered 'much harsh and unlawful treatment' and John Wesley wrote to the Dean of Ripon (who was also a local magistrate) on their behalf on 9 July 1766. Wesley tells us their fear had gone, and now they flocked to hear the good news of Jesus and he prayed that they might not forget

I always love what people say to clergy sorts in the run up to Christmas. Here’s two.
The lady on the till in Sainsbury’s:
“Are you ready for the dreaded day?” (Is Christmas really something to dread?)
A lady in the street: 
“This must be your busy time!” (When people say this I always worry they think I do nothing for 51 weeks in the year!)

I’m not feeling very Christmassy. I think this year is worse than last year with Covid making us very low. But it’s okay not to feel Christmasy, because Incarnation still happens. I need to try not to be in Wesley’s words a “forgetful hearer” when I hear the story again over the next few days. I’m leading worship on Friday and Saturday and Sunday and I will try to hear what God is saying to me this year. 

What’s the message of Christmas for me after another really difficult year, well, that God comes! Wesley clearly created a stir in 1780, can I create one too this Christmas in the churches I’m in? Will people gladly flock together to hear His word? I suggest, fellow clergy readers, we need to know it in our knackered state (you know what? Predictive text wrote that last sentence as we need to know it in our knickers!!!) and we need to be honest in our preaching it this weekend. Here’s the good news we need to remember forever to use Wesley’s brother’s words - he lays his glory by and wraps himself in our clay… I pray over the next few days I might not be too busy or tired to hear this amazing thing for me. It’s as vital a message for 2021 and pandemic weariness and fear (106,000 cases today) as it was in 1780. Even if the numbers who hear it might not be quite as big as Wesley got on his visit here back then! 







No comments:

Post a Comment