Thursday 30 December 2021

The Thursday after Christmas: sudden obstacles on the way!



Maybe the Christmas story is all about disruption. What do you think? 

Mary was just getting on with being a teenager… 

Joseph was looking forward to a happy marriage and settled life in Nazareth…

The shepherds were just getting on with caring for their flocks…

King Herod was enjoying being powerful and unthreatened…

The Magi had their lives in the East…

Then God and angels disrupted them… who would have thought a tiny child could cause so much chaos! 



We view disruption negatively. Of course we do! I had a long conversation this morning about whether a party planned for Epiphany evening which is a huge village thing could do ahead. Then events other than omicron made the decision for us. A huge tree came down in the churchyard last night which is now dangerous and can’t be dealt with until next week sometime so we have had to close the church and the churchyard until it’s safe. Photos were taken by the church wardens this morning. 

Then there’s the situation with omicron which seems to be disrupting the country with people off sick. We fear the NHS being overrun soon and Southern are not running any trains. I used Southern a lot once and it was grim! We didn’t have omicron as an excuse then. We don’t like having life disrupted.

But just maybe theologically we need it!  Aren’t we stuck in a rut as grey as the weather? Don’t we need a bit of disruption to stir us up a bit? When you are disrupted by cancelled events, trains that don’t run and fallen trees, you have to make a decision to do something different. Many people are celebrating New Year’s Eve differently; those relying on a train that won’t be running have to get there another way or not go; the congregation on Sunday will have to worship elsewhere. If we embrace the disruption of incarnation properly we will look at life differently. Or at least we should! 

I found this while preparing a service for Sunday when we think about magi on a journey… 


God, I love to worship you when the stars are bright above me.

I love to worship you when the sky is clear, and the breeze just right.

I love to worship you when the journey to Bethlehem is an easy one. Unfortunately, as you know, this journey of life, love, and faith is rarely easy. Now and again, the stars disappear. My feet get blisters, and the journey is far too long and lonely.

On these days, forgive me for giving up quickly.

Forgive me for allowing the dream to die and for taking the shortcut home. I want to be as brave as the Magi.

 

I want to persevere.

Guide my feet. Show me the stars. Amen.


Dare we be disrupted?









No comments:

Post a Comment