Tuesday 29 November 2016

Blogging through Advent - reacting to light


The colours in the evenings just before dusk have been amazing recently. I took this from the car tonight driving into Hastings from Rye - awesome over the sea in the distance. 

Sometimes you have to react to colour.  Last night, after I wrote my blog post, the lights on my car dashboard started to flash as I tried to turn the key in the ignition. There was no way the car was going to start. The flashing lights including a large STOP sign meant I had to take notice of them. An hour or so later waiting for the RAC man, I was on my way with a new battery. 

There is a hymn by Michaela Youngson in our hymn book which talks about making the colours sing. Who are the people who give us light today? I take some time tonight to give thanks for them. I give thanks too for times like this orange vista when the colour of life invades the drabness, and I give thanks for the RAC man who got me moving, and the warmth of Sainsbury's where I sat waiting as it was bitter outside. Thank God I broke down in their car park! 

Light of Christ, you come into the world with brightness and colour and we are called to react to you. Shine on us today. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment