Saturday 19 April 2014

Easter Eve - the "night of nights"

I've just returned from a very powerful and very interesting Easter Vigil service at All Saints Church in Hastings Old Town. I try to worship on Holy Saturday and do the first communion of Easter for me. It is rare for us ministers to receive so I really valued being there tonight.

It only occurred to me sitting there listening to the liturgy that Christ rose in the night! We had readings about God conquering the darkness, we went outside to a fire and the Easter candle was lit from it, we all had candles lit to receive the light of Christ, we renewed our baptismal vows, we heard a homily from the Rector, we took communion, and we sang three mighty Easter hymns accompanied by a superb organist. The lady in front of me turned to me after the service, which lasted one hour and forty minutes, and she said, "It was lovely to have a man singing!" I was clearly having a good time!

I thought this prayer was very helpful:

Heavenly Father, in the joy of this night, receive our sacrifice of praise, your Church's solemn offering. Accept this Easter candle, a flame undivided but undimmed, a pillar of fire that glows to the honour of God. Let it mingle with the light of heaven and continue bravely burning to dispel the darkness of this night. May the Morning Star which never sets find this flame still burning: Christ, the Morning Star, who came back from the dead and shed his powerful light on humankind, your Son who lives and reigns for ever and ever.

The journey from death to life is an unexpected one and this service was wonderful at sharing that. It was a delight to receive in a pew and kneeling at an altar. Tonight has been a real gift to me, I am glad I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment