Saturday 19 December 2015

Advent Day 21 - A song to be sung




Has anyone reached the point where you would like to rip certain carols out of every carol sheet and hymn book because you never want to sing them again? Oh just me then!

I am using these words to introduce my carol services tomorrow. I find them powerful:

"When nations rage with hatred and war, and innocent people are slaughtered for no cause, when humans terrorise one another in body and spirit and the clamour of the streets is but a massive cry of despair and groans of hunger; when there appears to be no reason for a child to be born to endure the insensibilities of life, when it seems that all is lost and there is no hope, there is still a song to be sung, a song which unites the music in the soul."

I do more carol services and carol singing in this appointment than any other I have had. Tonight we have been at Pickham Farm in Pett in a barn surrounded by cows and sheep and donkeys and we have sat on hay bales and excited children have loved it: "That cow has just done at POO!" exclaimed one little boy. Carols express some of the deepest incarnational theology we have, I wonder if people who sing them once a year understand what they are singing. Whatever, they lift us up and help us see a different way. 




No comments:

Post a Comment