Saturday 26 December 2015

Boxing Day - Reflecting on Christmas



I was not looking forward to Christmas after my horrible few days and missing Molly. But sometimes you know God comes when you need him most through the kindness of God's people who turn up just when you need them. I had Christmas Day on my own and last night before zonking out post Baileys (!) lit a candle and was powerfully quiet. 

We had an amazing Christmas Eve here. I didn't want to lead worship a few hours after saying goodbye to Molly but I found the strength and we have had four very special times over the last couple of days. 92 people rolled in for Messy Church at St Helens, and later 53 at Calvert on Christmas Eve - wow! 

I was upheld by phone calls and messages from special people in the Circuit here on Christmas Eve, and a fun time round my neighbours (Christmas pudding vodka!) then encouraged by two lovely friends at church to join them at an Anglican Midnight Communion to enable me to be and receive of God. That helped. Christmas morning services were lovely, people were lovely and I enjoyed a quiet day, chocolate liqueurs, Christmas Top of the Pops, the Queen, Wizard of Oz, a nice dinner, too much Baileys hence I missed the programme I had been waiting for all day! I was thought of by texts from friends. A lovely day in the end, even if the house felt empty and I expected a cat to appear.     

This quote spoke to me yesterday:

"God has acted. Darkness has been overcome! The son has been sent and because he is born–glory is given to God and peace to those whom he favours. That is us! The ones he favours! That is us!
The Mystery has spoken without words. In the smooth cheeks of a baby, in the loving touch of a mother, in the tear filled eyes of dad, in a herd of shepherds come to see, the Mystery speaks. Today the Mystery speaks again. How are you going to hear it? How am I going to hear it? It remains with us in our joys of this day and even if we are sad this day and are coping with huge loss. It remained with Mary and Joseph and shepherds and kings. It has happened." 

My Mum has decided she is not well enough to come and stay - so it is looking like I will be in Harpenden on Tuesday and Wednesday. If any Harpenden readers want to lure me out on Tuesday night let me know... 

Happy Boxing Day everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment