Saturday 26 December 2015

Christmas - a different one - remembering Molly


Thank you for all the kind words and sensitivity about Molly no longer being with me. It was a real shock for me to be told she was so poorly. Her last week here was horrible - she was so weak, but she is now at peace, after nearly 13 years of being bonkers and absolute joy. 

Molly came to us from Sleaford in Lincolnshire in March 2003, about six months old. She was in a state with a broken pelvis and other problems, probably from being kicked. There was no hesitation in deciding to take her home to Oakham with us. She loved her first manse in Oakham, especially the wooden posts to scratch in the lounge, embarrassingly, and horsing about on the long landing upstairs. She also loved climbing on the church roof next door, leading to trips to the vet for pelvis pain! She often trotted round to church, passed the windows mid service, and once appeared in the room above church through an open window during a funeral! We moved manses in Oakham in 2004 to a new house. I will always remember David Cook, the Circuit Steward fitting a cat flap in our kitchen door, and trying to catch her armed with a tape measure. I asked him what he was doing. He said "the instructions say "measure cat"!" 

Molly moved to Shildon in County Durham with us in 2006 and changed character a bit. She didn't like living in a manse where there had been a dog and had to fight her corner in some cat turf wars in the park up the road. We then brought her to Storrington which she loved, a lovely garden, and a field at the back with plenty of field mice to bring home. 


Molly always liked to explore but never went far. She loved being in Hastings and trotting to the cemetery one way and to see the neighbours the other!  
               

Molly has got me through some tough times. Many of you will know I was very very seriously ill in the autumn of 2011 and couldn't walk or talk very much for four months. She knew when you were poorly and we bonded on the sheepy blanket especially during Downton Abbey. To almost the last day. we had to have an hour on the sheepy blanket before bed! I miss her most at the end of the day. Sadly her tumour was so uncomfortable she needed to sleep and sit on the floor towards the end. Molly also got me through marriage break up. She was our cat, but I am glad I was able to keep her after we split.  
       

I don't think I will ever have a cat with such attitude again - she loved rooves, and she loved coming to meetings and being involved. She once sat on the Chair of District's head which was a tad embarrassing! Molly was one of God's gifts to me for which I am thankful. She was a one off and made every day fun. She hated cat camp - Uncle Eddie in County Durham used to have to wear a cricket glove to deal with her! She hated the cat hospital. The vet in Hastings used to say I must love her very much as she was so vicious! She growled there to the end but was too weak to fight the vet this last time.
Rest in peace dear friend. Thank you for everything. 

 

Oh, and how am I going to finish the Circuit preaching plan now???!?! 




1 comment:

  1. Bless you Ian. R.I.P Molly, you were certainly a wonderful cat.

    ReplyDelete