Monday 7 December 2015

Advent Day 9 - Tasting


A very late blog writing session tonight - have just got in from a day out in the place I feel most at home in for some reason - the wonderful city of Manchester. Have had a lovely day with one of my ,dearest friends, and it has done me so much good, despite leaving the house at 7.15 this morning and it being nearly midnight!

It was fun today watching people taste a bit of Christmas - the Christmas markets in Manchester are really something - people were all around us eating German sausages in rolls, yummy things with lots of chocolate on them and downing mulled wines or hot chocolates with spiced orange. There were lots of people about in the city, but they seemed relaxed, and keen to explore what was there to taste or to buy.

I have spent today eating too much! Annie's is a lovely place to lunch, then later we were in the decadent Midland Hotel, then because I got a good deal first class I got my dinner on the train and that was very good! I have also spent today being reminded of the joy of deep relationships, people there for me, good conversation and sharing and laughter. I have also been reminded of the importance of place - place that inspires us and reminds us of blessings. I changed in Manchester through college training and friends who brought me out of myself and in my first appointment where I was accepted as me and made to believe I might be able to be some sort of minister and make a difference. I have revisited Manchester at significant points in my life, often lamenting being so far away but also times when I have found new energy from simply being there. It feels like home to me, and while I am happy in Hastings for now, one day I pray I will return.

O taste and see that the Lord is good are words that have kept coming to me today. Perhaps in Advent we need to be reminded of the need to reach out and return to those places which nourish us. What ishe place that does that for you? Return there as often as you can. Have a treat. Eat scones with jam and cream in the middle of the afternoon. Remind yourself you matter. Taste good things, be blessed. Hold on to those friends who care for you. Taste their kindness. Real friends pick up from where you last saw them, no matter how often you see them and the distance between you. I have had some of that today.
So  an Advent day off well spent, tasting and enjoying. I don't feel tired amazingly! Sometimes you need mad days! And, you know I am convinced Father Christmas looks like Zippy from Rainbow here. Or perhaps that is me.

Remind yourself on this Advent day when God comes of how he comes, through people and time and treats and special places we need to make us whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment