Saturday 2 December 2023

December 2 - time out to get through it!



I’ve had a retreat day at Marygate House on Holy Island booked for several weeks but yesterday nearly talked myself out of going. There’s so much in my diary and so much to sort. But I’m so glad I changed my mind. I’m just back from 24 hours time out and I’m back feeling refreshed and refocused. I’m not sure I would get through the next few weeks if I hadn’t had the last 24 hours. 



Holy Island has been our special place spiritually for some years both separately and then together when we met there in 2016. It always feels that God is ahead of you as you drive over the causeway which today was extremely icy. But despite the ice and the pavements underfoot being treacherous, the Island looked glorious with blue skies and empty spaces. Only the hardy were out in the cold. 



Sadly due to the weather only two of us did the quiet day Frances, the warden at Marygate had prepared but it was just good to have some time to be led and to think and get some fresh air - very fresh air! I had two long walks - about four miles in total - and we shared a nice lunch together. I left the Island about 3 as the temperature started to plummet and the ice was getting quite dangerous. I spent a couple of hours in Tynemouth on the way back home and, being reinvigorated, got two services written just like that! It’s amazing what taking time out can do :) 



Why are we so reluctant to create space for our own well-being? More seriously, why don’t we create space to listen to God? I put on quiet days and bible studies during Advent but very few people come to them. We spend all our energy keeping the church on the road. We seldom stop and see what is around us. It was a huge joy today to see the sea and the hills and the snow and the birds and the sheep. It was lovely the Island was not overrun with people so I could feel the peace which today brought healing.



On this second day of December, can I encourage us to take time and find God again? We can’t keep going without stopping, and stopping is a spiritual necessity if we are to be any use to anyone. In Zephaniah chapter 3 the prophet talks about God quieting us in his love. Or in other words he calls us to be still… so how do you do that? Sit in silence somewhere, don’t play with your phone, go for a walk, read a book, list your blessings. Take time and afterwards you will have time. So thank you Holy lsland. You always minister to me and today your quieting of me has been restorative and lovely. 

What journey as December progresses do you need to take to notice God and his power and presence again? Let’s look up more and worry less. The Advent hope is that there is nowhere God isn’t. That is really good news. 






No comments:

Post a Comment