Wednesday 13 December 2023

December 13 - Enablers



Today I’m thinking about those who quietly enable  things to happen. I’ve taken a service in a care home in Boroughbridge and been visiting in Harrogate hospital today. It struck me how we easily take for granted those who give their time to allow life to flourish. So today I saw at Boroughbridge Manor Leoni and Shelbie quietly encouraging the residents to take part in my service then help them back to their rooms. I love  the fact they have devised an advent calendar and I’m on it as an activity!



Then at the hospital I visited someone on Bolton Ward where I was last year. It reminded me of the care I had while there. I want to remember those who work in care homes and hospitals and chaplains today. It was good after my visiting to drop into the chaplaincy office and meet Diane one of the chaplaincy team who was with one of my folk last year as she started to journey to heaven. I thanked her for her care. Chaplains are fab! It was good to be back on Bolton Ward and to remember the care I had while very vulnerable. I remember Charlie pictured here doing my drugs helping me see my pain wouldn’t last for ever. She and others have a vocation of caring and are easily taken for granted.



Who are the enablers in the Christmas story? Angels, Joseph, the innkeeper? Who just give day after day to just let life happen? We seldom thank people without who we would be sunk. Nurses, care home workers, those on tills in supermarkets, refuse collectors and dare I say it ministers of religion??! We aren’t looking for thanks but please remember us in this silly season! 

There’s a verse in Nehemiah in the Old Testament about do not despise the day of small things. Today I remember those I fail to appreciate and I pray they might be better valued. Without their quiet devotion we would be in chaos.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment