Friday 8 December 2023

December 8 - unexpected surprises!



So this morning I was clearing out my car - I’m terrible at using my car as a space to chuck stuff and I then wonder why I can’t find things! After emptying it and driving it to church I noticed a purple colour way under the driver’s seat. It was a bar of dairy milk I’d clearly bought ages ago but never ate. It was a surprise and a joy to see it and enjoy it. 

I was watching Mary Berry prepare Christmas dinner last night. It was a military operation. Almost Christmas to a script. I think some people do Christmas like that. Everything has to be familiar and the same. But actually like finding a chocolate bar I had forgotten about, we need to be ready to be surprised or to be reminded of what we have forgotten - the grace of God has dawned upon the world with healing for all humankind. 

Where is God’s surprise this December? Where is it for those who are struggling and trudging through hard stuff? Where is it in Ukraine? Where is it in Gaza? Where is it for refugees and those we label as less than us? Where is it in our churches which are tired and frightened about how we keep doing? Where is it for you tonight? 

Mary is one of the central characters enabling incarnation. She was surprised by an angel telling her she was to bear God’s son. No wonder she says “how can this be?” But Luke tells us in the end she accepts the surprise. “Let it me to be according to your word.” 



Today (apparently) is the feast in some of our churches of the consumption of Mary: celebrated nine months before the feast of the Nativity celebrated on 8 September. She was born to ordinary parents without sin (says the Roman Catholic Church :)) and when she arrived on earth her parents would have had no idea what was to become of her. They aren’t mentioned when Mary has this drama - she goes off to her cousin. Where were they? Anyway without that high church stuff, to me Mary is a channel of obedience prepared to trust God’s agenda. 

What will you find under your seat in your car? 
How will God this Advent surprise earth with heaven? Discuss! 




No comments:

Post a Comment