Sunday 17 December 2023

December 17 - Comfort and Joy



What do you do after a ten hour non stop working Sunday? This mince pie and mulled wine were very happily received after an evening carol service tonight. I looked forward to this glass if mulled wine all day and it didn’t disappoint. 

People ask me how I take three services most Sundays. Leading worship is my greatest delight in ministry as is preparing it. Today 22 of us met this morning in Boroughbridge for a carol service, this afternoon 51 of us from the church and chapel in Sawley shared a Christingle service and tonight 50 of us had a carol service in Grewelthorpe - a Methodist led service followed by Anglican mulled wine afterwards - lovely - my reward after a long day.



Liked my mulled wine worth doing the day to get to, the Christmas journey might be time consuming and draining as we get through what needs to be done. Why do we make Christmas so stressful? But doing the hard work, making the journey, getting our hearts right, not rushing but enjoying the journey before the destination are vital spiritually. Having done ten hours hard graft today I savoured every sip and every mouthful at the end of my day. So I guess I’m saying anticipate celebrating the good things God has in store and enjoy them when they come. If you’ve made the Advent journey faithfully, then the Christmas joy as you reach the cattle shed will be all the more wonderful. What do you think?

Cheers!






No comments:

Post a Comment