Saturday 11 March 2023

The eighteenth day of Lent: Returning



When I was a child the last day of the holiday used to be horrendous! I would have a tantrum on the beach because I didn’t want to go home! 

Going back after a time of rest and retreat isn’t easy because you don’t know quite what you are going back to! I know I have meetings to welcome our new colleague who begins work with us next weekend; I know I have at least two funerals; I know I have a service to write tonight - but hey, I’ve always been a Saturday writer! 

This place gets into your soul and spirit and refreshes you. We have had every type of weather this week but, as always, the sun is shining as we leave, almost to say take some of this with you, and use it to find balance and peace when it gets busy back home. God gives us enough to return. I love the verse in Isaiah 30 which says “in quietness and rest you will return.” Put that verse on your wall if tomorrow threatens to frazzle you. 

Thank you Holy Island for space and peace again. Here’s the prayer prayed with pilgrims going home. It’s beautiful…

To the prayers of our Island Saints we commend you. May God’s angels watch around you to protect you. May the Holy Spirit guide and strengthen you for all that lies ahead. May Christ Jesus befriend you with his compassion and peace.

Lord, Be a bright flame before us.
Be a guiding star above us.
Be a smooth path beneath us.
Be a kindly shepherd behind us.

And the blessing of God Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
Be with you always!







No comments:

Post a Comment