Friday 31 March 2023

The thirty eighth day of Lent: Sorting



After a meeting with my new colleague sorting stuff and how we will work together, I’m moving my day off most weeks from now to a Friday. And of course it is raining!! 

My study in this manse is not the biggest, and I’ve a huge library of books and resources and papers I have to reduce as I can’t currently get in the room. I love books and I know some ministers don’t have many now as they read on line but I cannot not have a proper book in my hand to dip into or lose myself in. Some of my books are in crates as I quickly ran out of shelves.

Perhaps as we contemplate entering the drama of Holy Week, we need a spiritual sort out of what we need to flourish and we need not to be frightened of chucking some things out or - GULP - taking some books to the charity shop.

 The Holy Week journey is the most important part of our relationship with Jesus. I don’t have church meetings this week of any sort. I need the time to slowly journey without distraction. I am not good at sorting stuff and it takes forever as I pick up books or service sheets and stand there and read them rather than get on. God is good. In a very large crate I’ve thrown paper into to go through one of the first things I found were some Holy Week services of mine of old. I haven’t much time to think about writing services this weekend so perhaps in the mess I was meant to find them. 

I just wonder whether we need to ask these questions:

What do I need to sort in order to follow better?

What can I throw away or leave behind? Or what should I? 

What treasures as I sift through my life and my things will God bring back to my attention? 

Let’s not be scared of a good sort out. We need to enter Jerusalem and the rigours of Holy Week with energy and focus. It will be draining but invigorating. Honest! 







No comments:

Post a Comment