Friday 17 March 2023

The twenty fourth day of Lent: Cats



Today has been St Patrick’s Day, but also for those who commemorate the saints, it is also St Gertrude’s Day and St Gertrude is the patron saint of cats. Yes, really!! 



Two cats attempt to climb St. Gertrude in this stained glass window in the Belgian province of Limburg. She’s the patron saint of gardeners, travellers, widows, recently deceased people, the sick, the poor, the mentally ill, and travellers in search of lodging. People call upon Gertrude for protection from mice and rats, fever, insanity, and mental illness. However, cat lovers revere Gertrude of Nivelles most of all. How great is it to have a patron saint of cats? We live in a multi cat household. We thank God for them. All of them are asleep as I write this! 


St. Gertrude of Nivelles, ask you I pray
Safeguard my kitties this and each day.
Defend them from those who might wish them harm.
Keep them at home safe from danger and storm.
Instill in me wisdom to care for them well.
Pray, fill me with strength never to yell.
And Gertrude, a last thing I beseech from thee,
Protect my sofa from claws and my carpets from pee.
Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment