Friday 10 March 2023

The seventeenth day of Lent: those who have gone before us…



St.Mary’s Church on Holy Island has always been a special place for us. Tonight we went to evening prayer at 5pm as we try to do most days while here. It’s an important part of the rhythm of life that every day prayer is offered and has been on this spot since Aidan brought Christianity here. 

Tonight no one showed up to lead the prayers. So… I ended up leading it for the four of us present. I was struck tonight by how our prayers were part of a long story and that people have gathered for centuries to give thanks for the day just past to God and to pray for the world and it’s needs. At the back of the church is a board with the names of those who have led God’s people here - a bright succession from Aidan and Cuthbert through to the four most recent vicars I’ve known here - David Adam; Brother Damian; Paul Collins and Sarah Hills, who came here from Coventry Cathedral in 2019. 



As we share in the life of this place, we are always very aware of those who have been here before us. We add our footprints, our devotions, our presence to a huge story of faithfulness. I’m conscious without some of the saints who’ve been in my life, I wouldn’t be the person I am today. 

So tonight, I ask who are those people for you? Take time to say thank you for them. I wonder also how will we be remembered? There’s a thought!!




No comments:

Post a Comment