Monday 27 March 2023

The thirty fourth day of Lent: Pausing



My Superintendent, noticing I was texting him on a Monday texted back hoping as I was working today I am taking another day for rest this week. I’m tending to have more Fridays off than Mondays, my usual day at the moment. It’s important we take time off and dare I say, time out during the day to be apart in the midst of busyness. 

Today has been glorious in these parts. The drive over to Grewelthorpe for Lent lunch was fantastic today in the sunshine, watching the sheep in the fields and farmers at work. On the way back from lunch I called into the church in Mickley. I’d not been in it before. It was good to have some rest and quiet. (So I’ll be honest now. I’d just had a snooze in the car before leaving Grewelthorpe and lunch wasn’t even heavy!!) It’s okay to rest. I’ve no time for those clergy types who boast they don’t take days off as though we are judged by how much we do as if people have a camera filming our every move! 

Don’t let us get too busy we cannot stop and find God and have our souls refreshed. 

As I said to a dear couple years ago who got burnt out doing church jobs and became so miserable and unwell “when’s your day off church?” 

There is rest for the weary
And there's strength for the weak,
That is what God offers
To those who humbly seek


For it's only in the seeking
That we will surely find
Rest for our weary bodies
And peace for our troubled minds


And it's there in the asking
That we will come to know
God in all His splendour
With His wisdom, we will grow


And it's only in the knocking
That the door will open wide
So we can walk into
What He graciously provides


So maybe for a while
We can rest along the road
And put on Jesus yoke,
For easy is His load.




No comments:

Post a Comment