Tuesday 2 December 2014

A Prayer for Advent - Day Three


It has been a cold, grey, raw day here in the South East today. I had a session with my spiritual director in Tonbridge this morning and travelled by train. Coming back, all the trains were late due to signal failure further up the line. This couple were having a good row and shout each other down the platform from me. He was really fed up, cold, wet, frustrated. I think his wife had dragged him out shopping! He doesn't look best pleased I took his picture does he? 

Why are these days so stressful for people? Ask yourself if you are stressed today, what is causing you stress and can you get rid of it? (Not easy if it is your wife making you shopping! A man we met yesterday told us "I am pretending to enjoy having a lovely walk round this Christmas market."

The angel song in these weeks is "Peace on Earth, goodwill to all people." It is not, "Stress on Earth, Bad Tempers to those nearest to us." I hope this man got home okay and that he had a better afternoon then his morning!

Why is it, O God, that we get so worked up about these next few weeks? What can I buy for Auntie who I only see once a year, who doesn't eat chocolates and who had a calendar last year? Where will I spend Christmas Day? How do I survive Christmas with so many expectations on me? Help me to cope with people who are stressed at this time. May my smile help them. I pray for this man and I hope he has a nice Christmas full of peace and joy. In Jesus name. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment