Monday 22 December 2014

Prayer for Advent Day 23 - What we need for Christmas


A prayer for Monday, three days before Christmas, reflecting on people in the supermarket at lunchtime...

God, what do I need to do Christmas? Does my trolley need to be so full I cannot fit any more in it? Do I need to buy sprouts and dates and Christmas pudding and those cheesy footballs for it to be Christmas? Tempers were frayed in the shop, people were panicking, it has to be perfect. 

This year, O God, I just want a simple Christmas. I am trying to understand why people fill it with so much. All I need in these days is to know your peace, rather than stuffing myself silly with things I never eat at any other time of the year. Forgive me, Lord, though, I seem to have eaten a whole box of chocolates while writing this prayer which happened to be on the desk! 


No comments:

Post a Comment