Wednesday 3 December 2014

A prayer about waiting - Advent Day Four



Today I have been thinking about waiting.

These two pictures are about frustrated waiting. The first is the infamous Harley Shute Road which leads onto the Bexhill Road, our local bottleneck in a morning. The traffic wasn't moving at 8.45 this morning and I had a 9am meeting. I was going to be late. The second was what I found when I got to the meeting. The Rector was late. I had to wait for him to arrive. I got cross inside. Why is he making me wait? I have five meetings today!

I think these weeks teach us a long about waiting. The waiting time can be time to find peace. Radio 1 was blasting out in the car while I was in the queue. Nick Grimshaw played "Christmas Rapping" by The Waitresses. It made me smile. When I got to the church, I was pleased actually to sit for ten minutes and breathe. The waiting time was transformed by attitude.

God has a right time, and that can be frustrating. But if we fret less while waiting and accept that we are not in control, God may surprise, and even a ghastly queue of traffic might be bearable.




Dear God, I hate waiting. I hate waiting in traffic, I hate waiting for people to turn up. More seriously in our world, people hate waiting for news of their health, news about loved ones, and people wait in war torn lands for peace, in lands of poverty for shelter and food, in places of despair for hope. But you can turn the waiting time into a moment of calm and peace. It is up to us. Either we fill every moment with anxious rushing around, guilty that we are not cramming every minute with activity or we can rest in the waiting time and see what happens. God who waits for the right moment, wait with us today. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment