Wednesday 24 December 2014

Prayer for Christmas Eve - Expectation


I love Christmas Eve - rather more than Christmas Day! Singing along to the radio this morning, preparing worship, installing a new fridge (don't ask) and two Christingle services both full of families very excited. I used a verse from the Apocrypha today "sanctify yourselves, for tomorrow the Lord will work wonders among you." Both churches I was in today had the largest number out for Christingle in recent years and there was a lovely spirit. 

I need to stay awake to share in a midnight communion. The expectation is all around me. Somehow this night is one of deep spirituality and possibility and I am glad to experience that. 

God of expectation, on this night long ago you worked wonders in this world. 
Do the same tonight, bring peace and comfort to those who need it most. Bring laughter and celebration to those who need to have some of those things in their lives. Bring peace to those who are on their own. Bring rest to clapped out ministers with three services to go. Most of all, God of surprises, thrill our hearts as you come again. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment