Saturday 20 December 2014

Prayer for Advent Day 21 - Donkeys


We hold a Carols in the Barn service in one of my villages in aid of Farm Africa. 
It reminded me powerfully tonight that God came into the world in human form in the smelly and unlikely place, in the cold, away from civilisation. 

My prayer simply tonight is to help us remember where God came and will come today. Are we prepared to enter the smelly and cold places and find God in them, or are we too comfortable? 

A highlight of tonight was when one of these donkeys nearly ate the baby Jesus who was placed rather too near this rail for a while!

O God, remind me tonight where you come, into the darkness, into the cold, into the dirt, into the smelly reality of life, outside. Remind me tonight that is where I should be too. If Christmas is really to come, then it is not my church who should be celebrating, it is people I have not yet met. If I do not enter their world and help them and remind them where they are, that God comes to them, then I have misunderstood the story I am singing, sharing, reading, preaching over and over again in these weeks. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment