Monday 15 December 2014

Prayer for Advent Day 16 - Shopping


I braved Hastings town centre this morning. It was surprisingly quiet, including the supermarket. As I put my weekly shop on the belt, I thought "how will this be in here in a week's time?" Chaos, no doubt. This pile of shopping looks like I have more cat food than anything else! Even in the quietness some people were piling up their trolleys like food will be no more in a day or so's time. 

One of the carols we sang last night spoke of  "enough" - enough for him whom cherubim worship night and day. There is enough for everyone. We will have enough on Christmas Day (probably too much... so we will end Christmas dinner by saying "I cannot eat another thing ever!" Then a few hours later the table will be laid for tea.)

Enough, rather than excess. We must be aware some people will not have enough in these weeks to live, let alone party. Food banks will be at breaking point, shelters will be full, and loneliness through lack of deep relationship, will worsen. If only we would learn to share. 

Mind you, sometimes we deserve a treat. It is my day off, before any of my church members reading this have a word about the chocolate mid way down the shopping here! 

God of good things, you have given enough for everyone to be filled. But we have taken too much so that others do not have enough to live as you would have them live. May these next few days see a generosity of spirit, real sharing, beginning where we are, and may we be patient when the shopping world goes mad and we pop out on Christmas Eve because we have forgotten something important. Christmas is a funny time, O God. Some of it I just don't get! Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment