Wednesday 31 December 2014

Prayer for New Year's Eve 2014



I used to get all worked up about New Years Eve. The night can be one of heightened emotions and danger out there as people do some funny things. The need to be with people and to be loved on this night seems to be more than any other night. Yes, there are people and places I would dearly love to be with tonight but I am not there. I am quite content with a glass or two of Bailey's Chocolate Liqueur and Jules Holland on the telly, or Queen from Methodist Central Hall and some fireworks on the other side. I will text some friends later and will be "with people" that way. My Mum is here but she goes to bed at 8.

Why do we think tonight so important? Why do we think tomorrow suddenly life will be different? Why is being alone so bad and painful tonight for many people, some who will go out and make huge mistakes after a glass or eight. We were hearing from the manager at Pontins at Camber Sands recently exploring Street Pastors going in there on nights like tonight. There are some horror stories relationship wise in that place! Perhaps we need in life nights when we look back, perhaps with regret but also thankfulness. I have made some mistakes in 2014, I have got into a situation I still can't resolve which bothers me, despite me not being able to do anything about it. I have also had a good year with my churches being lovely, and despite being in a place and a role at the end of the year I did not expect, I am content. There is much to look forward to. The most precious thing I have rediscovered in 2014 is that I am not on my own, I have special people, and some very special people who journey with me, and who enrich my journeying. You know you who are and I thank you tonight. I hope people who find tonight hard, don't make too much of it and go to bed. I will sit up, I am not sure why but it feels important to mark the year's passing and to quietly enter a new one, whatever that means and whoever comes with me in it. Happy New Year everyone!

God of time, thank you for the year that is coming to an end in a few hours, the new opportunities, my work and my churches, my friends who have become important to me and my family. 

God of every moment, be with those who find this night impossible. Be with those who are racked with loneliness with the pressure to be with someone to kiss at midnight! 

God of new beginnings, may the New Year begin well, may I live every day, cherishing every moment. Where I get it wrong, forgive me. Where I miss your guidance, put me straight, and when I get bogged down, reenergise me and give me surprises to lift my soul and lighten my spirit. 

On this New Year's Eve, O God, in the words of the hymn writer, I praise you for all that is past, and I trust you for all that is come. Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment