Tuesday 9 December 2014

Prayer for Advent Day 10 - Prayer at the heart


Our Circuit Advent Bible Studies began today. I invited the Circuit to come together for three mornings or three evenings to take some time out. 7 people joined me in Bexhill this morning and 17 in Battle tonight. A shame so many told me they were too busy to come.

We considered Anna in our sessions today, using Stephen Cottrell's excellent book of meditations "Walking Backwards to Christmas" and we thought about the wisdom of senior age, about constant prayer, about being certain about something, about waiting and about a journey as St Augustine put it once to "the end that has no end."

I love doing groups and I wish more people (especially those who say they are too busy) would come to them. I firmly believe that churches will only grow if we put spirituality, prayer and sharing faith problems and joys together at the heart of what we do. I know not everyone agrees with me!

I am thinking tonight about groups of people meeting in Advent to pray, to watch and wait and to enjoy reacting to the Scriptures and being together,

God of community, I get frustrated when Christian people tell me keeping a church going is more important than spending time with you and with others doing spiritual things. Sometimes we forget why we are here! Tonight I pray for little groups meeting all over the world to grow in faith, respond to your word and be better disciples. I remember how Anna when she knew you had come in a baby praised God and spoke to everyone about it. Help me to help people see the need to search for you, to long for you, to find you and then share you. Please help those who are too busy to find some space to let you in. They don't know what they are missing! Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment